Walking private tour in old Athens and Gourmet market 3-h; Athens’s walking tour in the old Athens and Gourmet market offers you a chance to visit some of the hidden treasures of Athens that you would probably miss if only moving by car in this interesting, but also complicated city.
The Gourmet Market of Athens located in the heart of the city is the place to be if you want to experience real Athens, and if you want to get an insight into the habits of the Greeks and Athenians, who come here to buy fresh fish, meat, vegetables, and fruit.
Itinerary of the Athens Walking Tour
Syntagma Square, Athenas Street (food market), Psirri, Monastiraki Square, Plaka
Highlights of this walking tour in Old Athens and Food Market
- The food market of Athens with its colors and aromas
- The picturesque quarters of Psirri
- The hidden streets of Plaka and Monastiraki
- The flea market in Monastiraki
- 3-hour private walking tour
Description of our walking tour in Athens, Plaka, and Monastiraki
Our walking tour in Athens will take you to one of the main pedestrianized streets in the heart of the city, with its famous little shops that line up and down the street, offering everything you can imagine, from local delicatessen to products grown in every part of the country.
The hustle and bustle of the food market located just on this street is something you definitely need to experience.
We will visit the old food market in the city, with its bustling sounds and intense aromas.
You will stand in front of a large variety of fresh meat and fish, but also fresh and dried fruits, and tons of herbs and spices that create truly unique scenery, just in the heart of the city. The merchants promoting their goods, and the buyers negotiating the prices is also something to see since it is part of our “buying” tradition in markets.
The next stop of the walking tour in Old Athens is Psirri, one of the oldest quarters in the city which is renovated in the last few years. Here you can have lunch at one of the numerous small tavernas, or enjoy a coffee with a traditional Greek dessert that will introduce you to the idea of going out with friends for “a sweet”, as Greeks say.
Later on, we will be visiting Plaka and Monastiraki, where you can see an array of small tourist and local shops, selling all kinds of traditional products and souvenirs of the city.
Athens is one of the most significant capital cities in the world, boasting great cultural and historical interest.
A walking tour in the heart of the city will reveal to you the real side of the city and its people and will allow you to understand its true charm that makes most visitors come back again.
- Shore Excursion
- Walking tour
- Pickup from your cruise terminal. Our tour guide or driver will be for you at the cruise arrivals terminal holding a sign with your name on. After you meet we will escort you to our air conditioned van for your for your 15 minutes transfer to Athens. She / He will be at the designated meeting point at 08:45
- Drop off point in Athens Our van will drop you off at the entrance of the hotel Amalia in front of the Parliament building. Your driver will help you to find your guide. The Athens walking tour starts at 9.30 am. (On Good Friday (Greek Orthodox Easter) our tour starts at 10:30.
- Drop off back to your cruise ship pier Our van and driver will be at 15:45 at the beginning of the pedestrian Walk Way of Dionyssiou Areopagitou in front of Melina's statue across from Hadrian’s Arch. If for any reason you miss the transfer back to your cruise ship terminal, you will have to return to Piraeus port with your own means.
- Important: Please be at the designated meeting point 10 minutes prior to departure time because our van / bus will will just stop for a moment to pick up passengers and will depart immediately for Piraeus
Included in the tour
- Professional licensed English speaking tour guide
- Duration 3 hours approx
Excluded from the tour
- Entrance fees to the archaeological sites and museum
- Gratuities (optional)
- Food and beverage
- Dress: religious and marmoreal sites: shoulders and knee must be covered
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- A voucher will be emailed to you with our contact numbers and all necessary information for your tour.
- This is your ticket and proof of purchase. On the day of tour please present a paper voucher in order to redeem your tour/activity.
Persons with Disabilities
- Due to uneven surfaces, certain sites are not recommended for persons with walking disabilities or using a wheelchair. Such sites are the Acropolis, the Temple of Poseidon at Sounion, Mycenae, Delphi and Meteora
- In all cases, we recommend comfortable flat-solid walking shoes, sunglasses and sunscreen.
Opening hours & Admission fees
- Opening Hours:Summer April 1st to October 31st from 08:00 AM to 07:30 PM
- Winter: November 1st to March 31st from 08:30 AM to 03:00 PM
- Free admission fees: Children under 18 & Students from E.U.
- Reduced admission fees: Citizens of the E.U. aged over 65 & Students from countries outside the E.U.
Free admission days
- March 6: In memory of deceased Minister of Tourism & visionary Melina Mercouri
- June 5: Environment international day
- April 18 : International monuments day
- May 18: International museums day
- September 27: International tourism day
- The last weekend of September annually (European Heritage Days)
- National Holidays
- Sundays in the period between 1 November and 31 March
- The first Sunday of every month, except for July, August and September
- NOTE: If the first Sunday is a holiday then the second is the free admission day
Holidays in Greece
- January 1: closed
- January 6: 08:30 AM - 03:00 PM
- Shrove Monday: 08:30AM - 03:00 PM
- March 25: closed
- Good Friday: 12:00 PM - 03:00 PM
- Holy Saturday: 08:30 AM - 03:00 PM
- Easter Sunday: closed
- Easter Monday: 08:30 AM - 03:00 PM
- May 1: closed
- Holy Spirit Day: 08:30 AM - 03:00 PM
- 15 August 15: 08:30 AM - 03:00 PM
- October 28: 08:30 AM- 03:00 PM
- December 25 & 26: closed
Departures: All year round
Meeting point: start from Syntagma Square (Constitution Square)
Endpoint: Drop off at the same point.
Duration: 3 hours
Starting time: at 10:00 (is proposed)
N.B. Entrance fee for the Acropolis is not included.