Magical Delphi, Impressive Meteora, Legendary Thermopylae 2d; Our private two days tour to Delphi, Meteora, and Thermopylae gives visitors the chance to visit some of the most important historical areas in Greece, known for their beauty and historical significance.
Itinerary of the private tour to Delphi, Meteora, Thermopylae
Athens – Monastery of Ossios Lucas – Arachova – Delphi – Kalambaka – Meteora Monasteries – Thermopylae – Athens
Highlights of the Magical Delphi, Impressive Meteora, Legendary Thermopylae 2d
- Blessed Lucas Byzantine monastery
- The town of Delphi, the museum and the archaeological site of Delphi with the temple of Apollo
- The suspended rocks of Meteora with the breathtaking Byzantine monasteries on top of them
- The town of Kalambaka by the feet of Meteora Rocks
- Thermopylae, the famous Hot Gates of the ancient Years.
- Scenic drive through the picturesque and hospitable countryside
- English-speaking driver. A guide is available on request
- Pickup and drop off from Athens hotels or Piraeus cruise terminal
View this 2-day tour from Athens To Delphi and Meteora in a larger Google map
Description of the tour to Delphi, Meteora Monasteries, and Thermopylae
DAY 1: Athens, Osios Lucas Byzantine Monastery, Arachova, Delphi, Kalambaka, Meteora
The 2-day private tour starts on the morning of the first day. Your driver will travel you through the villages of Thebes & Levadia to visit one of the most famous Monasteries of Ossios Lucas, known for its byzantine architecture and the golden mosaics, built in the 11th century.
After a short stop at the monastery, the private tour will continue towards Arachova, one of the most famous and popular winter destinations in Greece. Arachova is a lovely, picturesque mountain village, built on the south slopes of Mt Parnassus. It is famous for its bright multi-colored carpets and several local products including fresh pasta, cheese, and sweets.
After Arachova, the tour will take you to Delphi, the ancient sanctuary of Apollo. Our private tour includes a visit to the Delphi Museum where you can see among others the archaeological treasures of the ancient oracle, the unique bronze Charioteer, and the sacred way to the Athenian treasury.
After our visit to the archaeological site and the museum of Delphi, we will enjoy a tasteful lunch in Delphi or Arachova. We will continue our private two-day tour driving through the towns of Central Greece (Amphissa, Lamia, Trikala). We will drive through the Thessaly plain, the granary of Greece, to reach Kalambaka late in the afternoon, where we will spend the night.
DAY 2: Kalambaka, Meteora, Thermopylae. Return to Athens
The second day of the tour starts with the visit to the breathtaking monasteries of Meteora, which is part of UNESCO‘s World Heritage Sites, built on the top of high rocks.
You will have the chance to visit byzantine monasteries of unique beauty and architecture, built in the 11th century.
After the visit to Meteora, the tour will take you back to Athens, passing by the famous Thermopylae, the Hot Gates of Ancient Greece.
This is where the battle of Thermopylae took place in 480AD between the Persians of King Xerxes and the 300 Spartans of King Leonidas.
Late in the afternoon, we will arrive in Athens ending our tour.
- Shore Excursion - Private tour
- Activity level: Moderate
Included in the tour
- Car and Driver
- A professional English speaking driver or escort with good knowledge in history and culture of Greece, to guide you till you enter archaeological sites and museums. Tour drivers are not licensed to companion you inside the archaeological sites and museums. If you'd like to have a licensed by the state tour guide to escort you inside the sites and museums, we can arrange it for you with an additional cost. Licensed by the state tour guides are freelance and it is subject of availability on bookings day!
- Transport by air-conditioned Mercedes-Benz vehicle or similar appropriate for the size of your group
- Accommodation is based according to availability (for multiple day tours only)
- Pick-up from and return to your hotel
- Pick-up from the Port of Piraeus
- Private tour, Road tolls and local taxes
- Our terminal: Leof. Andrea Siggrou 37, 117 43 Athina, Greece.
Excluded from the tour
- Entrance fees to the archaeological sites and museum
- Wine tasting fee (wine tours)
- Gratuities (optional)
- Food and beverage
- Your private chauffeur/guide will discuss a program best suited to your interest and mobile abilities. Option for a professional tour guide with a state license at an extra cost. Read more for the difference between a STATE LICENSED TOUR GUIDE and a TOUR DRIVER GUIDE in Greece!
- Dress: religious and marmoreal sites: shoulders and knee must be covered
- Terms & Conditions and Frequent Questions
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- A voucher will be emailed to you with our contact numbers and all necessary information for your tour.
- This is your ticket and proof of purchase. On the day of tour please present a paper voucher in order to redeem your tour/activity.
Persons with Disabilities
- Due to uneven surfaces, certain sites are not recommended for persons with walking disabilities or using a wheelchair. Such sites are the Acropolis, the Temple of Poseidon at Sounion, Mycenae, Delphi and Meteora
- In all cases, we recommend comfortable flat-solid walking shoes, sunglasses and sunscreen.
- Please note that on this tour, your tour driver is not licensed to accompany you on your climb. If you want this service you may book a licensed by the state tour guide for an extra cost.
- In case a group is followed by a licensed tour guide or an English speaking tour-escort the professional driver is not obliged to speak English!
Opening hours & Admission fees
- Opening Hours:Summer April 1st to October 31st from 08:00 AM to 07:30 PM
- Winter: November 1st to March 31st from 08:30 AM to 03:00 PM
- Free admission fees: Children under 18 & Students from E.U.
- Reduced admission fees: Citizens of the E.U. aged over 65 & Students from countries outside the E.U.
Free admission days
- March 6: In memory of deceased Minister of Tourism & visionary Melina Mercouri
- June 5: Environment international day
- April 18 : International monuments day
- May 18: International museums day
- September 27: International tourism day
- The last weekend of September annually (European Heritage Days)
- National Holidays
- Sundays in the period between 1 November and 31 March
- The first Sunday of every month, except for July, August and September
- NOTE: If the first Sunday is a holiday then the second is the free admission day
Holidays in Greece
- January 1: closed
- January 6: 08:30 AM - 03:00 PM
- Shrove Monday: 08:30AM - 03:00 PM
- March 25: closed
- Good Friday: 12:00 PM - 03:00 PM
- Holy Saturday: 08:30 AM - 03:00 PM
- Easter Sunday: closed
- Easter Monday: 08:30 AM - 03:00 PM
- May 1: closed
- Holy Spirit Day: 08:30 AM - 03:00 PM
- 15 August 15: 08:30 AM - 03:00 PM
- October 28: 08:30 AM- 03:00 PM
- December 25 & 26: closed
Suggested hotels in Delphi and Kalambaka: