Explore Athens and visit the New Acropolis Museum with a half-day private tour!
The 6 hours private tour in Athens with the Acropolis Museum is designed to meet the needs and requirements of even the most demanding visitor.
It is a private sightseeing tour in Athens that allows you to make the most out of your visit in Athens and get to know the best parts of the city in a truly comfortable and time efficient way.
Athens Half-Day Tour Itinerary
The private 6 hour tour in Athens will take you to:
the Acropolis – the Parthenon – Erechtheum – Temple of Athens Nike – Plaka – Ancient Agora – Roman Agora – Hadrian’s library – Monastiraki – Temple of Hephaestus – Temple of Zeus – Hadrian’s Arch – the Parliament – The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier – Panathenian Stadium – the Ex Royal House – Kolonaki – Lycabettus Hill – the New Acropolis Museum or the National archaeological museum
During the private sightseeing tour in Athens, you will visit:
Acropolis and Acropolis Museum – Parthenon – Erechtheum – Temple of Athens Nike – ancient agora – Temple of Zeus – Hadrian’s Arch – the Parliament – Tomb of the Unknown Soldier – Panathenian Stadium – Lycabettus Hill
View the route of the sightseeing tour in Athens in Google maps
Highlights of the half-day tour in Athens
- The half day tour lasts approximately 6 hours and can be customized according to your available time and special requirements
- The professional English speaking drivers of Athens Tours Greece will take you to the modern and classic sites of Athens
- You will visit the Acropolis which is the highlight of the city and the most important reminiscent of the Athenian culture
- The half day tour combines the best of ancient and modern Athens, giving you an overview of how the city used to be and how it is today
- The drivers can pick you up and drop you off from your hotel in Athens or your cruise ship
Description of this half-day tour in Athens
The first time visitor of Athens can benefit from the half day 6 hour tour which is an overview of Athens and is specifically designed for those who either want to make the most of their short stay in Athens, or those who want to plan carefully their remaining days in Athens.
The private tour connects the ancient and modern symbols of the city and the ancient agora with the modern commercial districts of Athens. The private tour in Athens starts from the Acropolis, which is inevitably the most intriguing site in Athens. Its great advantage is that it combines the tour with a visit to the Museum of Acropolis, which gives you an overview of the monument and its remains.
The Sacred Rock of the Acropolis is the highlight of the ancient Athenian architectural style, and has become the trademark of the city of Athens since the 5th century BC. When visiting the Acropolis and its Parthenon you will see the Propylaea and the Erectheum with the Caryatids, and you will find yourself up the Sacred Hill, where you can also admire the city of Athens at its whole. The Rock of the Acropolis offers you a panoramic view of the city that stretches from the north mountains to the south shores of the sea and the port of Piraeus. After the Acropolis, the private tour will take you to Plaka, which is one of the most colorful and picturesque neighborhoods of the city, known for its lovely coffee shops and the amazing tourist shops where you can buy your memorabilia and souvenirs to bring back home.
Later on, the half day tour will take you to some of the most significant parts of the city, such as the Tomb of Unknown Soldier and the House of the Parliament at Syntagma (Constitution) Square. Driving towards the Panathenaic Stadium you will pass by the imposing Hadrian’s Arch and you will soon arrive at the Panathenaic (Kallimarmaron) Stadium that hosted the first modern Olympic Games in 1896.
Then, the tour will bring you to Panepistimiou Avenue where you can see the Trilogy of Buildings of Athens, the Academy of Athens, the University of Athens and the National Library that stand out due to their amazing architecture.
One of the highlights of the tour is a visit to the Museum of the Acropolis which houses the most important artifacts, statues and relics from the Parthenon and the Acropolis. It also houses the half of the marbles of the Acropolis, and the Caryatids.
The end of the half day tour will take you to the modern district of Athens called Kolonaki, and Lycabettus Hill, the tallest part of Athens that will give you the chance to take amazing pictures and admire the city once more from above.
- Shore Excursion - Private tour
- Activity level: Moderate
Included in the tour
- Car and Driver
- A professional English speaking driver or escort with good knowledge in history and culture of Greece, to guide you till you enter archaeological sites and museums. Tour drivers are not licensed to companion you inside the archaeological sites and museums. If you'd like to have a licensed by the state tour guide to escort you inside the sites and museums, we can arrange it for you with an additional cost. Licensed by the state tour guides are freelance and it is subject of availability on bookings day!
- Transport by air-conditioned Mercedes-Benz vehicle or similar appropriate for the size of your group
- Accommodation is based according to availability (for multiple day tours only)
- Pick-up from and return to your hotel
- Pick-up from the Port of Piraeus
- Private tour, Road tolls and local taxes
- Our terminal: Leof. Andrea Siggrou 37, 117 43 Athina, Greece.
Excluded from the tour
- Entrance fees to the archaeological sites and museum
- Wine tasting fee (wine tours)
- Gratuities (optional)
- Food and beverage
- Your private chauffeur/guide will discuss a program best suited to your interest and mobile abilities. Option for a professional tour guide with a state license at an extra cost. Read more for the difference between a STATE LICENSED TOUR GUIDE and a TOUR DRIVER GUIDE in Greece!
- Dress: religious and marmoreal sites: shoulders and knee must be covered
- Terms & Conditions and Frequent Questions
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- A voucher will be emailed to you with our contact numbers and all necessary information for your tour.
- This is your ticket and proof of purchase. On the day of tour please present a paper voucher in order to redeem your tour/activity.
Persons with Disabilities
- Due to uneven surfaces, certain sites are not recommended for persons with walking disabilities or using a wheelchair. Such sites are the Acropolis, the Temple of Poseidon at Sounion, Mycenae, Delphi and Meteora
- In all cases, we recommend comfortable flat-solid walking shoes, sunglasses and sunscreen.
- Please note that on this tour, your tour driver is not licensed to accompany you on your climb. If you want this service you may book a licensed by the state tour guide for an extra cost.
- In case a group is followed by a licensed tour guide or an English speaking tour-escort the professional driver is not obliged to speak English!
Opening hours & Admission fees
- Opening Hours:Summer April 1st to October 31st from 08:00 AM to 07:30 PM
- Winter: November 1st to March 31st from 08:30 AM to 03:00 PM
- Free admission fees: Children under 18 & Students from E.U.
- Reduced admission fees: Citizens of the E.U. aged over 65 & Students from countries outside the E.U.
Free admission days
- March 6: In memory of deceased Minister of Tourism & visionary Melina Mercouri
- June 5: Environment international day
- April 18 : International monuments day
- May 18: International museums day
- September 27: International tourism day
- The last weekend of September annually (European Heritage Days)
- National Holidays
- Sundays in the period between 1 November and 31 March
- The first Sunday of every month, except for July, August and September
- NOTE: If the first Sunday is a holiday then the second is the free admission day
Holidays in Greece
- January 1: closed
- January 6: 08:30 AM - 03:00 PM
- Shrove Monday: 08:30AM - 03:00 PM
- March 25: closed
- Good Friday: 12:00 PM - 03:00 PM
- Holy Saturday: 08:30 AM - 03:00 PM
- Easter Sunday: closed
- Easter Monday: 08:30 AM - 03:00 PM
- May 1: closed
- Holy Spirit Day: 08:30 AM - 03:00 PM
- 15 August 15: 08:30 AM - 03:00 PM
- October 28: 08:30 AM- 03:00 PM
- December 25 & 26: closed