This private tour to Ancient Olympia and Corinth Canal is an excellent chance to see something more than Athens. As Greeks say, Greece is not just Athens, and in this case this is more than true. The site of Corinth and Olympia are among the most significant sites in the world, especially when considering the importance of the Olympic Site.
Itinerary of the full day tour to Ancient Olympia and Corinth Canal
Athens – Corinth Canal– Tripolis – Pirgos – Olympia – Athens
Highlights of the full day tour to Ancient Olympia and Corinth Canal
- The birthplace of the Olympic Games in Olympia
- The famous Corinth Canal
- A trip in the beautiful Greek countryside
- Experienced and skilled English speaking driver
- A 9 hours magnificent tour through modern and ancient myths
Description of the full day tour to Ancient Olympia and Corinth Canal
The tour to Ancient Olympia and Corinth Canal starts early in the morning from Athens.
Your driver will take the coastal road that leads outside of the city, towards the Peloponnese.
After an hour drive, you will reach the Corinth Canal, which connects Central Greece with the Peloponnese Peninsula.
After a short stop for pictures from the high bridge of the canal, the tour will continue towards Olympia and its archaeological site.
Olympia is mostly known as the original site of the ancient Olympic Games. It is the place where this institution was born, and even today, the Olympic Flame starts its journey from here, to reach the city hosting the Games each time.
Of all the Panhellenic Games in ancient Greece, the main games were held in Olympia.
Olympic games forged the national, racial and spiritual unity of the Greeks. They combined the deep religious spirit of the heroic past of the Greeks, the highest degree of cultivation of body, mind and soul with the universal philosophical values and the promotion of individual and the city states with the highest ideal of freedom. This is why the Games remain till today an important and admirable institution.
At Olympia you will have the chance to see the original site which is perfectly preserved; you can run the original track race, and admire the lush greenery of the site. You can also visit the Archaeological Museum of Olympia with its amazing artifacts and statues, the Sanctuary of Olympian Zeus and the Museum of the Olympic Games.
After visiting the site of Olympia, and late lunch, the tour will bring you back to Athens late in the afternoon, via the same route.
- Shore Excursion - Private tour
- Activity level: Moderate
Included in the tour
- Car and Driver
- A professional English speaking driver or escort with good knowledge in history and culture of Greece, to guide you till you enter archaeological sites and museums. Tour drivers are not licensed to companion you inside the archaeological sites and museums. If you'd like to have a licensed by the state tour guide to escort you inside the sites and museums, we can arrange it for you with an additional cost. Licensed by the state tour guides are freelance and it is subject of availability on bookings day!
- Transport by air-conditioned Mercedes-Benz vehicle or similar appropriate for the size of your group
- Accommodation is based according to availability (for multiple day tours only)
- Pick-up from and return to your hotel
- Pick-up from the Port of Piraeus
- Private tour, Road tolls and local taxes
- Our terminal: Leof. Andrea Siggrou 37, 117 43 Athina, Greece.
Excluded from the tour
- Entrance fees to the archaeological sites and museum
- Wine tasting fee (wine tours)
- Gratuities (optional)
- Food and beverage
- Your private chauffeur/guide will discuss a program best suited to your interest and mobile abilities. Option for a professional tour guide with a state license at an extra cost. Read more for the difference between a STATE LICENSED TOUR GUIDE and a TOUR DRIVER GUIDE in Greece!
- Dress: religious and marmoreal sites: shoulders and knee must be covered
- Terms & Conditions and Frequent Questions
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- A voucher will be emailed to you with our contact numbers and all necessary information for your tour.
- This is your ticket and proof of purchase. On the day of tour please present a paper voucher in order to redeem your tour/activity.
Persons with Disabilities
- Due to uneven surfaces, certain sites are not recommended for persons with walking disabilities or using a wheelchair. Such sites are the Acropolis, the Temple of Poseidon at Sounion, Mycenae, Delphi and Meteora
- In all cases, we recommend comfortable flat-solid walking shoes, sunglasses and sunscreen.
- Please note that on this tour, your tour driver is not licensed to accompany you on your climb. If you want this service you may book a licensed by the state tour guide for an extra cost.
- In case a group is followed by a licensed tour guide or an English speaking tour-escort the professional driver is not obliged to speak English!
Opening hours & Admission fees
- Opening Hours:Summer April 1st to October 31st from 08:00 AM to 07:30 PM
- Winter: November 1st to March 31st from 08:30 AM to 03:00 PM
- Free admission fees: Children under 18 & Students from E.U.
- Reduced admission fees: Citizens of the E.U. aged over 65 & Students from countries outside the E.U.
Free admission days
- March 6: In memory of deceased Minister of Tourism & visionary Melina Mercouri
- June 5: Environment international day
- April 18 : International monuments day
- May 18: International museums day
- September 27: International tourism day
- The last weekend of September annually (European Heritage Days)
- National Holidays
- Sundays in the period between 1 November and 31 March
- The first Sunday of every month, except for July, August and September
- NOTE: If the first Sunday is a holiday then the second is the free admission day
Holidays in Greece
- January 1: closed
- January 6: 08:30 AM - 03:00 PM
- Shrove Monday: 08:30AM - 03:00 PM
- March 25: closed
- Good Friday: 12:00 PM - 03:00 PM
- Holy Saturday: 08:30 AM - 03:00 PM
- Easter Sunday: closed
- Easter Monday: 08:30 AM - 03:00 PM
- May 1: closed
- Holy Spirit Day: 08:30 AM - 03:00 PM
- 15 August 15: 08:30 AM - 03:00 PM
- October 28: 08:30 AM- 03:00 PM
- December 25 & 26: closed