In the Dodecanese island of the Aegean sea is Patmos, the smallest of all but reach in beauty and history. Patmos is the most sacred of all the Greek islands to Christians, both Orthodox and Western, for it was here that St. John received his revelation. There are millions of people visiting Patmos every year, but the island maintains an aura of sacred serenity.
Highlights of the half day private shore excursion
- 4-hours tour of most sacred island in Greece
- Combines Patmos’ modern and Christian sites guided by our experts
- Explore the wonders of Chora
- Professional English-speaking tour guide
- Pickup and drop off at your cruise ship pier in Scala
Description of the guided shore excursion in Patmos
The cave and Monastery of St. John, the typical village and houses, the grotto of St. John the cave where Saint John lived, the little church wit the stone orifice it is believe that he used as a pillow, the village of Chora, with its simple houses and Byzantine churches, the courtyard of this imposing structure, the intricate pavement designed with pebbles and the decorated arches, the little chapel houses sacred relics which are stored in a silver coated chest, the museum which displays a breathtaking collection of jeweled chalices, crowns, crucifixes, vestments and old manuscripts, the three hundred year old house of the Simandiris family, an exceptional example of island architecture house dating from the Russian Empire up to the Turkish occupation.
Walk the old winding streets of Chora experience and witness the beautiful old architecture of Patmos. Free time to explore the village on your own before returning to the pier.
Important Note: No shorts or bare shoulders are permitted in the Monastery.
Ladies must wear skirts and are offered a wrap to wear around the waist if a skirt is not worn. Please come prepared or you may be turned away.
Patmos half day tour Breakdown:
- Depart the Pier for the Grotto- 10 Minutes
- Visit Cave of St. John- 30 Minutes
- Drive to Chora and walk up to the Monastery- 15 Minutes
- Visit Monastery- 1 Hour
- Walk to and Visit House of Simandiris- 30 Minutes
- Chora Walk- 15 Minutes
- Free time in Chora- 45 Minutes
- Return to Patmos’ Pier- 20 Minutes
- Shore Excursion - Private tour
- Activity level: Moderate
Included in the tour
- Car and Driver
- A professional English speaking driver or escort with good knowledge in history and culture of Greece, to guide you till you enter archaeological sites and museums. Tour drivers are not licensed to companion you inside the archaeological sites and museums. If you'd like to have a licensed by the state tour guide to escort you inside the sites and museums, we can arrange it for you with an additional cost. Licensed by the state tour guides are freelance and it is subject of availability on bookings day!
- Transport by air-conditioned Mercedes-Benz vehicle or similar appropriate for the size of your group
- Accommodation is based according to availability (for multiple day tours only)
- Pick-up from and return to your hotel
- Pick-up from the Port of Piraeus
- Private tour, Road tolls and local taxes
- Our terminal: Leof. Andrea Siggrou 37, 117 43 Athina, Greece.
Excluded from the tour
- Entrance fees to the archaeological sites and museum
- Wine tasting fee (wine tours)
- Gratuities (optional)
- Food and beverage
- Your private chauffeur/guide will discuss a program best suited to your interest and mobile abilities. Option for a professional tour guide with a state license at an extra cost. Read more for the difference between a STATE LICENSED TOUR GUIDE and a TOUR DRIVER GUIDE in Greece!
- Dress: religious and marmoreal sites: shoulders and knee must be covered
- Terms & Conditions and Frequent Questions
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- A voucher will be emailed to you with our contact numbers and all necessary information for your tour.
- This is your ticket and proof of purchase. On the day of tour please present a paper voucher in order to redeem your tour/activity.
Persons with Disabilities
- Due to uneven surfaces, certain sites are not recommended for persons with walking disabilities or using a wheelchair. Such sites are the Acropolis, the Temple of Poseidon at Sounion, Mycenae, Delphi and Meteora
- In all cases, we recommend comfortable flat-solid walking shoes, sunglasses and sunscreen.
- Please note that on this tour, your tour driver is not licensed to accompany you on your climb. If you want this service you may book a licensed by the state tour guide for an extra cost.
- In case a group is followed by a licensed tour guide or an English speaking tour-escort the professional driver is not obliged to speak English!
Opening hours & Admission fees
- Opening Hours:Summer April 1st to October 31st from 08:00 AM to 07:30 PM
- Winter: November 1st to March 31st from 08:30 AM to 03:00 PM
- Free admission fees: Children under 18 & Students from E.U.
- Reduced admission fees: Citizens of the E.U. aged over 65 & Students from countries outside the E.U.
Free admission days
- March 6: In memory of deceased Minister of Tourism & visionary Melina Mercouri
- June 5: Environment international day
- April 18 : International monuments day
- May 18: International museums day
- September 27: International tourism day
- The last weekend of September annually (European Heritage Days)
- National Holidays
- Sundays in the period between 1 November and 31 March
- The first Sunday of every month, except for July, August and September
- NOTE: If the first Sunday is a holiday then the second is the free admission day
Holidays in Greece
- January 1: closed
- January 6: 08:30 AM - 03:00 PM
- Shrove Monday: 08:30AM - 03:00 PM
- March 25: closed
- Good Friday: 12:00 PM - 03:00 PM
- Holy Saturday: 08:30 AM - 03:00 PM
- Easter Sunday: closed
- Easter Monday: 08:30 AM - 03:00 PM
- May 1: closed
- Holy Spirit Day: 08:30 AM - 03:00 PM
- 15 August 15: 08:30 AM - 03:00 PM
- October 28: 08:30 AM- 03:00 PM
- December 25 & 26: closed