Relive the excitement of the Olympic Games with the Katakolon shore excursion to Ancient Olympia and get to know one of the most significant and historical sites in the world joining the shore excursion tour from Katakolon to Olympia.
It is a tour designed for the visitors of Katakolon arriving with a cruise ship and aspires to make the most out of their time.
Highlights of the Exciting 4-Hour Private Shore Excursion Katakolon to Olympia
- A 4 hours tour to ancient Olympia
- The Museum of the Olympic Games and the original site of the Games
- A professional English speaking driver, who will pick you up and drop you off at your cruise terminal
- An official license English speaking tour guide for the archaeological site and museum, who will escort you and guide you inside (optional)
Description of the Exiting 4-hour Shore excursion from Katakolon to Olympia
The shore excursion tour starts from the port of Katakolon, where your cruise ship will dock upon arrival to the Ionian Sea. The port of Katakolon is the entry gate to the Peloponnese peninsula from the sea and will lead you to ancient Olympia, the birthplace of the Olympic Games.
Olympia has been a milestone and a starting point for all mankind throughout the ages since it has introduced the world to the spirit of the Olympics, which can again become the foundation of a more humane society.
Ancient Olympia was a significant athletic and religious center of ancient Greece, due to the Olympic Games held every four years to honor the father of Gods, Zeus.
The archaeological site of Ancient Olympia
You can visit the archaeological site of Olympia and the museum as well as the area in which the remains of ancient buildings were discovered. The museum in the courtyard houses works by contemporary Greek artists, while inside you can admire many of the findings of the excavations. At the same time, you can draw valuable information about your visit to the rest of the site.
Among the important buildings encountered here are: the Roman portico, the Prytaneion the Philippeion, Heraion where Hermes of Praxiteles was found, the Pelopeio, the Nymphaeum, the Registry and, below, the stage with the gallery of Echo.
The Stadium of the Olympic Games could accommodate 40,000 spectators and its perimeter is equivalent to 600 steps of Hercules. Besides it lies the majestic temple of Zeus, the greatest monuments in wealth, size, and symbolic value in the ancient years.
The Temple of Zeus is a Doric temple with exquisite decoration and is definitely still breathtaking. Here was the gold and ivory statue of Zeus, depicting him sitting on his throne. After the temple, the buildings below are the Deputies, South gallery, the Palaestra of the 3rd BC Century, and the High School which was a place of preparation for athletes.
You will also visit the Museum of the History of the Ancient Olympic Games, which hosts 463 ancient works, from the Temple of Zeus at Olympia, but also from other museums of the Greek territory.
Find here more shore excursions from Katakolon to Ancient Olympia!
By the end of your private tour, our Athens Tours Greece driver will take you back to Katakolon and your cruise ship.
- Shore Excursion - Private tour
- Activity level: Moderate
Included in the tour
- Car and Driver
- A professional English-speaking driver or escort with good knowledge of the history and culture of Greece, to guide you till you enter archaeological sites and museums. Tour drivers are not licensed to companion you inside the archaeological sites and museums. If you'd like to have a licensed state tour guide to escort you inside the sites and museums, we can arrange it for you at an additional cost. Licensed by the state tour guides are freelance and it is subject to availability on bookings day!
- Transport by air-conditioned Mercedes-Benz vehicle or similar appropriate for the size of your group
- Accommodation is based according to availability (for multiple-day tours only)
- Pick-up from and return to your hotel
- Pick-up from the Port of Piraeus
- Private tour, Road tolls and local taxes
- Our terminal: Leof. Andrea Siggrou 37, 117 43 Athina, Greece.
Excluded from the tour
- Entrance fees to the archaeological sites and museum
- Wine tasting fee (wine tours)
- Olive oil tasting fee (olive oil tasting tours)
- Gratuities (optional)
- Food and beverage
- Your private chauffeur/guide will discuss a program best suited to your interest and mobile abilities. Option for a professional tour guide with a state license at an extra cost. Read more for the difference between a STATE LICENSED TOUR GUIDE and a TOUR DRIVER GUIDE in Greece!
- Dress: religious and marmoreal sites: shoulders and knee must be covered
- Terms & Conditions and Frequent Questions
- Confirmation will be received at the time of booking
- A voucher will be emailed to you with our contact numbers and all necessary information for your tour.
- This is your ticket and proof of purchase. On the day of the tour please present a paper voucher in order to redeem your tour/activity.
Persons with Disabilities
- Due to uneven surfaces, certain sites are not recommended for persons with walking disabilities or using a wheelchair. Such sites are the Acropolis, the Temple of Poseidon at Sounion, Mycenae, Delphi and Meteora
- In all cases, we recommend comfortable flat-solid walking shoes, sunglasses, and sunscreen.
- Please note that on this tour, your tour driver is not licensed to accompany you on your climb. If you want this service you may book a licensed by-state tour guide for an extra cost.
- In case a group is followed by a licensed tour guide or an English speaking tour-escort the professional driver is not obliged to speak English!
Opening hours & Admission fees
- Opening Hours:Summer April 1st to October 31st from 08:00 AM to 07:30 PM
- Winter: November 1st to March 31st from 08:30 AM to 03:00 PM
- Free admission fees: Children under 18 & Students from E.U.
- Reduced admission fees: Citizens of the E.U. aged over 65 & Students from countries outside the E.U.
Free admission days
- March 6: In memory of deceased Minister of Tourism & visionary Melina Mercouri
- June 5: Environment international day
- April 18 : International monuments day
- May 18: International museums day
- September 27: International tourism day
- The last weekend of September annually (European Heritage Days)
- National Holidays
- Sundays in the period between 1 November and 31 March
- The first Sunday of every month, except for July, August, and September
- NOTE: If the first Sunday is a holiday then the second is the free admission day
Holidays in Greece
- January 1: closed
- January 6: 08:30 AM - 03:00 PM
- Shrove Monday: 08:30AM - 03:00 PM
- March 25: closed
- Good Friday: 12:00 PM - 03:00 PM
- Holy Saturday: 08:30 AM - 03:00 PM
- Easter Sunday: closed
- Easter Monday: 08:30 AM - 03:00 PM
- May 1: closed
- Holy Spirit Day: 08:30 AM - 03:00 PM
- 15 August 15: 08:30 AM - 03:00 PM
- October 28: 08:30 AM- 03:00 PM
- December 25 & 26: closed