Remarkable Marathon and Artemida 5-h private tour from Athens; Visit Marathon and Artemida (Brauron) from Athens or Piraeus Port with Athens Tour Greece. Experience a visit to important sites outside the beaten path of the most popular tours in Athens.
Marathon, Artemida, and Brauron are not only historically important areas but are also truly gorgeous places to see.
Itinerary of the Marathon and Artemida 4-h private tour from Athens
Athens, Agia Paraskevi, Gerakas, Pallini, Rafina, Nea Makri, Marathon, Loutsa, Vravrona, Athens
Highlights of Remarkable Marathon and Artemida 4-h private tour from Athens
- 5-hour private shore excursion to Marathon and Artemida, combining modern and classical sites
- Marathon, the actual starting point of the famous race, and the battlefield of the 490BC battle of Marathon
- English speaking professional driver with pickup and drop off at Piraeus cruise terminal or your hotel in Athens
Description of the Marathon and Artemida 4-h private tour from Athens
We will pick you up from your cruise ship pier and take you on a fascinating trip to history. The tour will drive you through the interesting Northern suburbs of Athens, towards Marathon. After an hour’s drive, you will reach the place where the actual Marathon race started. It is the most famous foot race of 42,195 kilometers (26 miles).
The event took its name from this region and is associated with the battle of Marathon in 490BC between the Athenians and the Persians.
When the Athenians won this hard battle, a messenger named Pheidipides ran the distance from Marathon to Athens to announce the victory. When he reached Athens and informed the Athenians that the Persians lost, he passed away from exhaustion. Commemorating this event the Marathon race takes place every year all over the world.
At Marathon, you will see the tomb of the fallen Athenians. Later, the tour will continue towards Artemida, famous for the Temple of Goddess Artemis in Brauron that gave her name to the region.
The temple dates back to the 6th century BC; you will also visit the local museum featuring artifacts from ancient Athens and Marathon.
During this private shore excursion, you can get to know Brauron, one of the renowned ancient towns located so close to Athens.
King Theseus of Athens was the one who united all these areas to the Athenian State. Brauron was mostly known due to the Temple of Artemis and the yearly festival, Brauronia, organized as a tribute to the Goddess of hunting, who was also the protector of the region. Artemis was the sister of God Apollo and was incorporating characteristics of both a kind and a ferocious Goddess.
Artemida is also known for the impressive beaches and seaside coast, as well as its typical Greek taverns and bars. This tour aims at combining the classic with the modern, therefore you will truly enjoy passing by all these cozy little places.
We will end this private shore excursion driving back to Athens from the same route, and dropping you off at Piraeus Port or your hotel in Athens.
NOTE. An alternative tour is the full-day sightseeing tour in Athens with a visit to Marathon.
- Shore Excursion - Private tour
- Activity level: Moderate
Included in the tour
- Car and Driver
- A professional English-speaking driver or escort with good knowledge of the history and culture of Greece, to guide you till you enter archaeological sites and museums. Tour drivers are not licensed to companion you inside the archaeological sites and museums. If you'd like to have a licensed state tour guide to escort you inside the sites and museums, we can arrange it for you at an additional cost. Licensed by the state tour guides are freelance and it is subject to availability on bookings day!
- Transport by air-conditioned Mercedes-Benz vehicle or similar appropriate for the size of your group
- Accommodation is based according to availability (for multiple-day tours only)
- Pick-up from and return to your hotel
- Pick-up from the Port of Piraeus
- Private tour, Road tolls and local taxes
- Our terminal: Leof. Andrea Siggrou 37, 117 43 Athina, Greece.
Excluded from the tour
- Entrance fees to the archaeological sites and museum
- Wine tasting fee (wine tours)
- Olive oil tasting fee (olive oil tasting tours)
- Gratuities (optional)
- Food and beverage
- Your private chauffeur/guide will discuss a program best suited to your interest and mobile abilities. Option for a professional tour guide with a state license at an extra cost. Read more for the difference between a STATE LICENSED TOUR GUIDE and a TOUR DRIVER GUIDE in Greece!
- Dress: religious and marmoreal sites: shoulders and knee must be covered
- Terms & Conditions and Frequent Questions
- Confirmation will be received at the time of booking
- A voucher will be emailed to you with our contact numbers and all necessary information for your tour.
- This is your ticket and proof of purchase. On the day of the tour please present a paper voucher in order to redeem your tour/activity.
Persons with Disabilities
- Due to uneven surfaces, certain sites are not recommended for persons with walking disabilities or using a wheelchair. Such sites are the Acropolis, the Temple of Poseidon at Sounion, Mycenae, Delphi and Meteora
- In all cases, we recommend comfortable flat-solid walking shoes, sunglasses, and sunscreen.
- Please note that on this tour, your tour driver is not licensed to accompany you on your climb. If you want this service you may book a licensed by-state tour guide for an extra cost.
- In case a group is followed by a licensed tour guide or an English speaking tour-escort the professional driver is not obliged to speak English!
Opening hours & Admission fees
- Opening Hours:Summer April 1st to October 31st from 08:00 AM to 07:30 PM
- Winter: November 1st to March 31st from 08:30 AM to 03:00 PM
- Free admission fees: Children under 18 & Students from E.U.
- Reduced admission fees: Citizens of the E.U. aged over 65 & Students from countries outside the E.U.
Free admission days
- March 6: In memory of deceased Minister of Tourism & visionary Melina Mercouri
- June 5: Environment international day
- April 18 : International monuments day
- May 18: International museums day
- September 27: International tourism day
- The last weekend of September annually (European Heritage Days)
- National Holidays
- Sundays in the period between 1 November and 31 March
- The first Sunday of every month, except for July, August, and September
- NOTE: If the first Sunday is a holiday then the second is the free admission day
Holidays in Greece
- January 1: closed
- January 6: 08:30 AM - 03:00 PM
- Shrove Monday: 08:30AM - 03:00 PM
- March 25: closed
- Good Friday: 12:00 PM - 03:00 PM
- Holy Saturday: 08:30 AM - 03:00 PM
- Easter Sunday: closed
- Easter Monday: 08:30 AM - 03:00 PM
- May 1: closed
- Holy Spirit Day: 08:30 AM - 03:00 PM
- 15 August 15: 08:30 AM - 03:00 PM
- October 28: 08:30 AM- 03:00 PM
- December 25 & 26: closed