Athens city highlights and Cape Sounion private tour 8-H; Our 8 hours full-day private tour to Sounion is a combination of the half-day private tour in Athens, a tour to the Athens Riviera (Athens coastline: Glyfada, Varkiza, Lake Vouliagmeni), and Cape Sounion with the temple of Poseidon.
This tour is actually a harmonious blend of history and natural beauty, the elements that make Athens so unique throughout the centuries.
Experience the best of Athens and its unique coastline towards Cape Sounion and the Temple of Poseidon with the full day tour by Athens Tours Greece.
Itinerary of A brilliant Athens city & Cape Sounion 8-hour private tour
Before you visit Sounion, you will enjoy a private half-day sightseeing tour in Athens, that will take you to the most important sites in Athens:
The tomb of the Unknown Soldier – the Parliament House – the Constitution Square – the Panathenian Stadium (site of the first modern Olympic Games in 1896) – the Presidential Palace (ex Royal Palace) – the Catholic Cathedral – the Academy of Athens – University, National Library and Omonia Square – the Temple of Olympian Zeus – Adrian’s arch – the Acropolis with the awesome Parthenon – the Propylaea – the Temple of Athena Nike and the Erechtheion with its Porch of Maidens – the Plaka (old Athens) – the ancient agora, the Roman agora, and Lycabettus hill.
The sightseeing tour in Athens lasts approximately 4,5 hours and the tour to Sounion another 3 hours.
Highlights of A brilliant Athens city & Cape Sounion 8-hour private tour
- All significant monuments and sites in Athens
- The coastline of Athens
- The Temple of Poseidon and Cape Sounion
- English-speaking tour driver
Description of the private tour in Athens and Cape Sounion
The private tour to Athens and Sounion starts with the half-day tour to Athens that will take you to the most important sites in the city. You will get to see all monuments and archaeological sites that have made Athens the cradle of civilization and you will enjoy a tasteful lunch.
After your lunch, the private tour to the Athens Riviera and Cape Sounion starts. The tour will drive you along the impressive coastal road of Athens towards the southern suburbs and you will soon be getting to Glyfada and Vouliagmeni, where you will see the lake of Vouliagmeni, an impressive lake that stands hidden from the bypassers but gathers numerous visitors and bathers each summer.
Later on, you will be reaching Varkiza, one of the modern south suburbs of Athens that stands out due to its amazing coffee shops and restaurants, but also due to the amazing views of offers to the Saronic Gulf.
After an hour’s drive…,
you will get to Cape Sounion, with the crowning feature of the Temple of Poseidon that overlooks the Aegean Sea in dramatic scenery that will definitely take your breath away.
The Temple of Poseidon is of Doric Style and was built in the 5th century BC is one of the most spectacular sites in the world, offering panoramic views not only to the sea but also to the southern part of Attica and Athens.
According to the myth, King Aegeas of Athens stood there to see whether the ship bringing his son Theseus from Crete would have white or black sails, that would inform him of the potential death of his son. Aegeas saw the mistakenly forgotten black sails of the ship in the sea and dropped himself to the waters that took his name ever since and are called “The Aegean Sea”.
The private tour to the Athenian Riviera and Cape Sounion is truly remarkable and you cannot miss it if you want to see something more than downtown Athens. It is highly recommended for cruise passengers to visit Athens from morning till late in the afternoon.
- Shore Excursion - Private tour
- Activity level: Moderate
Included in the tour
- Car and Driver
- A professional English speaking driver or escort with good knowledge in history and culture of Greece, to guide you till you enter archaeological sites and museums. Tour drivers are not licensed to companion you inside the archaeological sites and museums. If you'd like to have a licensed by the state tour guide to escort you inside the sites and museums, we can arrange it for you with an additional cost. Licensed by the state tour guides are freelance and it is subject of availability on bookings day!
- Transport by air-conditioned Mercedes-Benz vehicle or similar appropriate for the size of your group
- Accommodation is based according to availability (for multiple day tours only)
- Pick-up from and return to your hotel
- Pick-up from the Port of Piraeus
- Private tour, Road tolls and local taxes
- Our terminal: Leof. Andrea Siggrou 37, 117 43 Athina, Greece.
Excluded from the tour
- Entrance fees to the archaeological sites and museum
- Wine tasting fee (wine tours)
- Gratuities (optional)
- Food and beverage
- Your private chauffeur/guide will discuss a program best suited to your interest and mobile abilities. Option for a professional tour guide with a state license at an extra cost. Read more for the difference between a STATE LICENSED TOUR GUIDE and a TOUR DRIVER GUIDE in Greece!
- Dress: religious and marmoreal sites: shoulders and knee must be covered
- Terms & Conditions and Frequent Questions
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- A voucher will be emailed to you with our contact numbers and all necessary information for your tour.
- This is your ticket and proof of purchase. On the day of tour please present a paper voucher in order to redeem your tour/activity.
Persons with Disabilities
- Due to uneven surfaces, certain sites are not recommended for persons with walking disabilities or using a wheelchair. Such sites are the Acropolis, the Temple of Poseidon at Sounion, Mycenae, Delphi and Meteora
- In all cases, we recommend comfortable flat-solid walking shoes, sunglasses and sunscreen.
- Please note that on this tour, your tour driver is not licensed to accompany you on your climb. If you want this service you may book a licensed by the state tour guide for an extra cost.
- In case a group is followed by a licensed tour guide or an English speaking tour-escort the professional driver is not obliged to speak English!
Opening hours & Admission fees
- Opening Hours:Summer April 1st to October 31st from 08:00 AM to 07:30 PM
- Winter: November 1st to March 31st from 08:30 AM to 03:00 PM
- Free admission fees: Children under 18 & Students from E.U.
- Reduced admission fees: Citizens of the E.U. aged over 65 & Students from countries outside the E.U.
Free admission days
- March 6: In memory of deceased Minister of Tourism & visionary Melina Mercouri
- June 5: Environment international day
- April 18 : International monuments day
- May 18: International museums day
- September 27: International tourism day
- The last weekend of September annually (European Heritage Days)
- National Holidays
- Sundays in the period between 1 November and 31 March
- The first Sunday of every month, except for July, August and September
- NOTE: If the first Sunday is a holiday then the second is the free admission day
Holidays in Greece
- January 1: closed
- January 6: 08:30 AM - 03:00 PM
- Shrove Monday: 08:30AM - 03:00 PM
- March 25: closed
- Good Friday: 12:00 PM - 03:00 PM
- Holy Saturday: 08:30 AM - 03:00 PM
- Easter Sunday: closed
- Easter Monday: 08:30 AM - 03:00 PM
- May 1: closed
- Holy Spirit Day: 08:30 AM - 03:00 PM
- 15 August 15: 08:30 AM - 03:00 PM
- October 28: 08:30 AM- 03:00 PM
- December 25 & 26: closed