Get ready to taste the most delicious food of Athens! Bite into a sweet, cream filled, crunchy filo layered pie called bougatsa, fork into a perfectly fried doughnut balls drenched in honey called loukoumades, and savor a satisfying meld of flavors from warm pita bread filled with seasoned grilled meat, fresh veggies and traditional sauce called gyros. In between, taste the Greek Feta cheese, Greek olives, Greek wines and get to know more traditional foods on a neighborhood walk that revolves around sampling Greece’s traditional food!
√ Year-round Daily service.
√ Dep. at 09:30 am from Panepistimio Metro Station.
√ Duration: 3 hours & 30 min.
√ Walking time: 45 min.
√ Walking pace Moderate.
Highlights of the Shore Excursion: Athens food tour with free time in Plaka – Walking Tour
- Explore the Athens Central Market
- Stroll through off-the-beaten-path areas in the city
- Discover where Athenians shop and eat in a lively neighborhood
- Learn about the Mediterranean diet
- Sample Greek savories and sweets
Description of the Shore Excursion; Athens Food Tour & Free Time in Plaka Walking Tour
Athens Central Market and More
Our Athens Walking Tours guide will lead you through the bustling Athens Central Market, a historic food market unlike any other in Europe. Here, colorful and fragrant food stalls set the stage among animated food sellers, fishmongers and butchers whelping for sales as locals bargain them down.
Experience the Tastes of Greece
You’ll also be lead down the city’s quaint spice street, browse through mom-and-pop specialty shops selling local wine, olive oil, cheese or olives, and sample what’s behind the glass counters at family-run delicatessens. The aromas of fresh, out-of-the-oven savory pies, the tempting displays of Greek pastries and sips of Greece’s strong and tasteful spirits round out the food tour.
Discover the Athenian Food Culture
In between each bite, you’ll gain insight into Greece’s fascinating food culture, the evolution of the country’s cuisine and the healthy nature of locally produced, organic ingredients.
This Athens Food Tour is vegetarian-friendly as only one or two stops involve meat tastings where we would be happy to provide alternative sampling when requested. However, there are limited choices for other dietary restrictions such as gluten-free or dairy-free. If you any of the above dietary requirements or serious food allergies please contact us purchasing tickets.
Discounts and Offers
- If you book a second tour with us, you are eligible for a 5% discount. Use the code SNDT at your booking process inside the promo code field.
- Discount code for families and groups (FMD): 5% discount to families/groups with 4 or more paying members.
- Discount code for groups of more than 4 participants with second tour (SNDT+4): 10% discount to families or groups (4 or more paying members) booking more than one tours.
Specially for this particular walking tour
- Athens Guide magazine
- Athens Map
- Food specialist guide
- Food and beverages sampling
- Hotel pick up and drop off
- Gratuities (gratuity rates in Greece are around 10% of service cost)
The meeting point is outside the Panepistimio metro station at the Korai pedestrian walkway in front of the Starbucks. If you use the metro to come follow the “Korai” exit signs. Please be at the meeting point by 9:15 am. The tour starts at 9:30 am.
→ 49 € for the adults, covering all the sites that will be visited
→ 45 € Students (must hold a valid ID card)
→ 35 € Children (6-11 years)
→ Free Admission: Infants (0-5 years)
→ Note: Entrance fee for the Acropolis is not included.
→ Transfer: For a transfer from/to your cruise ship book here.