The two days tour to Sparta and Olympia is a private tour that takes you to the beautiful towns and regions of the Peloponnese Peninsula. It is a tour designed for those who want to get to know the rich history of Southern Greece, but also enjoy the beautiful and unique landscape of the region.
Itinerary of the two days private tour to Sparta, Mystras and Olympia
Athens – Cortinth canal – Sparta – Mystras – Olympia
Highlights of the 2 days tour to Sparta and Olympia
- A visit to the impressive Corinth Canal
- Visit to Sparta, the hometown of King Leonidas and his 300
- Visit Mystars one of the most important town in Byzantine era
- Visit the original site of the Olympic Games in Olympia
- An English-speaking professional driver for the tour
Description of the two days tour to Sparta and Olympia
Day 1st : Athens, Corinth canal, Sparta, Mystras, Olympia
The two days tour to Sparta and Olympia starts from Athens in the morning. The driver will take you along the coastal road of Attica towards Corinth; after an 1 hour drive you will reach the famous Corinth Canal that connects the two major seas, the Aegean and the Ionian Sea. You will have a short stop for pictures and the private tour will continue towards Sparta.
Sparta is one of the most renowned state cities of the antiquity along with Athens. It was the great rival of the Athenian State, and the birth city of King Leonidas, who fought the Persian army in Thermopylae along with his 300 men.In Sparta you will have the chance to visit the archaeological site of Sparta, the Acropolis of Sparta, which is a hill covered with olive trees and columns that remain as an evidence of the once great city. A major excavation has revealed the remains of the Temple of Artemis Orthia Spartan where the Spartan children took rites of passage. We will also visit the Museum of Sparta and then your driver will take you to Olympia, where you will spend the night.
Mystras; Else known as the dead city! Just 6 km far from Sparta, Mystras was and is an important source for knowledge, history, art and civilization of the Byzantines last two centuries. Since 1249 Mystras exists when the conquering of the Peloponese by the Franks took place and Vellarduinus II built a fortress on Taygetos mount. In 1259 the Franks defeated at the battle of Pelagonia and the castle of Mystras was handed over to the Byzantine Emperor Michael Paleologos.
Day 2nd : Olympia, Athens
The second day of this tour is dedicated to Ancient Olympia, where the Olympic Games took place in the antiquity.
The archaeological site of Olympia is set amidst lush greenery in the area of Elis. The excavations in the area revealed Pheidias’ workshop, the Leonidaion and the north wall of the original stadium of the Olympic Games.
In Olympia, you will also have the chance to see the actual track of the race and the Games that were held in the area every four years. You will also visit the archaeological museum of the city with the numerous artefacts and findings from the area, and the museum of the Olympic Games, supported by the International Olympic Committee.
Later on, you will enjoy your lunch in the area and take the way back to Athens, via the same route. You will reach Athens late in the afternoon where the private tour ends.
- Shore Excursion - Private tour
- Activity level: Moderate
Included in the tour
- Car and Driver
- A professional English speaking driver or escort with good knowledge in history and culture of Greece, to guide you till you enter archaeological sites and museums. Tour drivers are not licensed to companion you inside the archaeological sites and museums. If you'd like to have a licensed by the state tour guide to escort you inside the sites and museums, we can arrange it for you with an additional cost. Licensed by the state tour guides are freelance and it is subject of availability on bookings day!
- Transport by air-conditioned Mercedes-Benz vehicle or similar appropriate for the size of your group
- Accommodation is based according to availability (for multiple day tours only)
- Pick-up from and return to your hotel
- Pick-up from the Port of Piraeus
- Private tour, Road tolls and local taxes
- Our terminal: Leof. Andrea Siggrou 37, 117 43 Athina, Greece.
Excluded from the tour
- Entrance fees to the archaeological sites and museum
- Wine tasting fee (wine tours)
- Gratuities (optional)
- Food and beverage
- Your private chauffeur/guide will discuss a program best suited to your interest and mobile abilities. Option for a professional tour guide with a state license at an extra cost. Read more for the difference between a STATE LICENSED TOUR GUIDE and a TOUR DRIVER GUIDE in Greece!
- Dress: religious and marmoreal sites: shoulders and knee must be covered
- Terms & Conditions and Frequent Questions
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- A voucher will be emailed to you with our contact numbers and all necessary information for your tour.
- This is your ticket and proof of purchase. On the day of tour please present a paper voucher in order to redeem your tour/activity.
Persons with Disabilities
- Due to uneven surfaces, certain sites are not recommended for persons with walking disabilities or using a wheelchair. Such sites are the Acropolis, the Temple of Poseidon at Sounion, Mycenae, Delphi and Meteora
- In all cases, we recommend comfortable flat-solid walking shoes, sunglasses and sunscreen.
- Please note that on this tour, your tour driver is not licensed to accompany you on your climb. If you want this service you may book a licensed by the state tour guide for an extra cost.
- In case a group is followed by a licensed tour guide or an English speaking tour-escort the professional driver is not obliged to speak English!
Opening hours & Admission fees
- Opening Hours:Summer April 1st to October 31st from 08:00 AM to 07:30 PM
- Winter: November 1st to March 31st from 08:30 AM to 03:00 PM
- Free admission fees: Children under 18 & Students from E.U.
- Reduced admission fees: Citizens of the E.U. aged over 65 & Students from countries outside the E.U.
Free admission days
- March 6: In memory of deceased Minister of Tourism & visionary Melina Mercouri
- June 5: Environment international day
- April 18 : International monuments day
- May 18: International museums day
- September 27: International tourism day
- The last weekend of September annually (European Heritage Days)
- National Holidays
- Sundays in the period between 1 November and 31 March
- The first Sunday of every month, except for July, August and September
- NOTE: If the first Sunday is a holiday then the second is the free admission day
Holidays in Greece
- January 1: closed
- January 6: 08:30 AM - 03:00 PM
- Shrove Monday: 08:30AM - 03:00 PM
- March 25: closed
- Good Friday: 12:00 PM - 03:00 PM
- Holy Saturday: 08:30 AM - 03:00 PM
- Easter Sunday: closed
- Easter Monday: 08:30 AM - 03:00 PM
- May 1: closed
- Holy Spirit Day: 08:30 AM - 03:00 PM
- 15 August 15: 08:30 AM - 03:00 PM
- October 28: 08:30 AM- 03:00 PM
- December 25 & 26: closed