Get ready to taste the most delicious food of Athens! Bite into a sweet, cream filled, crunchy filo layered pie called bougatsa, fork into a perfectly fried doughnut balls drenched in honey called loukoumades, and savor a satisfying meld of flavors from warm pita bread filled with seasoned grilled meat, fresh veggies and traditional sauce called gyros. In between, taste the Greek Feta cheese, Greek olives, Greek wines and get to know more traditional foods on a neighborhood walk that revolves around sampling Greece’s traditional food!
√ Year-round Daily service, except on Sundays. The tour does not run from August 8 to August 18 and on Greek bank holidays.
√ Dep. at 08:45 am from Piraeus cruise terminal.
√ The tour ends approx 15:50 (03.50 PM). at the Patseas Jewelry Store.
√ Duration: 3 hours & 15 min.
√ Walking time: 45 min.
√ Walking pace Moderate.
Highlights of the Shore Excursion; Athens Food Tour & Free Time in Plaka Walking Tour
- Explore the Athens Central Market
- Stroll through off-the-beaten-path areas in the city
- Discover where Athenians shop and eat in a lively neighborhood
- Learn about the Mediterranean diet
- Sample Greek savories and sweets
Description of the Shore Excursion; Athens Food Tour & Free Time in Plaka Walking Tour
Athens Central Market and More
Our Athens Walking Tours guide will lead you through the bustling Athens Central Market, a historic food market unlike any other in Europe. Here, colorful and fragrant food stalls set the stage among animated food sellers, fishmongers and butchers whelping for sales as locals bargain them down.
Experience the Tastes of Greece
You’ll also be lead down the city’s quaint spice street, browse through mom-and-pop specialty shops selling local wine, olive oil, cheese or olives, and sample what’s behind the glass counters at family-run delicatessens. The aromas of fresh, out-of-the-oven savory pies, the tempting displays of Greek pastries and sips of Greece’s strong and tasteful spirits round out the food tour.
Discover the Athenian Food Culture
In between each bite, you’ll gain insight into Greece’s fascinating food culture, the evolution of the country’s cuisine and the healthy nature of locally produced, organic ingredients.
Discounts and Offers
- If you book a second tour with us, you are eligible for a 5% discount. Use the code SNDT at your booking process inside the promo code field.
- Discount code for families and groups (FMD): 5% discount to families/groups with 4 or more paying members.
- Discount code for groups of more than 4 participants with second tour (SNDT+4): 10% discount to families or groups (4 or more paying members) booking more than one tours.
Specially for this particular walking tour
- Food and beverages sampling
- Round-trip transfer from the Port of Piraeus and back
- Food tour
- Free time in Plaka/ Anafiotika
- Food specialist
- Athens Guide magazine
- Athens Map
- Lunch or dinner
- Gratuities (gratuity rates in Greece are around 10% of service cost)
An Athens Walking Tour representative will be waiting for you at a designated area outside of the customs building. Look for someone holding an orange colored Athens Walking Tours sign. Your transfer will depart from the port at 8:45 am.
Food Tour Meeting Point
Your driver will drop you off at the Korai pedestrian street. The meeting point is outside the Panepistimio metro station at the Korai pedestrian walkway in front of the Starbucks. If you use the metro to come follow the “Korai” exit signs. Please be at the meeting point by 9:15 am. The tour starts at 9:30 am.
Please note: For those taking the metro, note that there are three exits at the Panepistimio metro station. Two exits head to Panepistimio Street in front of the University of Athens. The third and correct exit is for and the Korai pedestrian walkway. Simply follow the “Korai” exit signs.
Back to the Port of Piraeus and Your Ship
Your transfer will depart at 15:50 (3:50 pm) from Patseas Jewelry Store, at the beginning of the pedestrian Dionysiou Areopagitou walkway, across Hadrian’s Arch. The guide will give you directions. The vehicle will have an orange colored Athens Walking Tours sign in the window. If for any reason you miss the return transfer, you will have to return to the Port of Piraeus by your own means.
Important Note: You must be at the designated meeting point 10 minutes prior to departure. The departure vehicle stops briefly to pick up passengers and will depart immediately for the Port of Piraeus.
- Pick-up from the Port of Piraeus is at 8:45 am / Transfer back to the Port of Piraeus is at 15:50 (3:50 pm).
- The tour operates daily, except on Sundays.
- The tour does not run from August 8 to August 18 and on Greek bank holidays.
→ 79 € for the adults, covering all the sites that will be visited
→ 73 € Students (must hold a valid ID card)
→ 73 € Teenagers (12-17 years)
→ 65 € Children (6-11 years)
→ Free Admission: Infants (0-5 years)
→ Note: Entrance fee for the Acropolis is not included.
→ Transfer: For a transfer from/to your cruise ship book here.