Smyrna; Images, thoughts and unique experiences in the neighborhood of the Aegean.
So many and so contradictory to each other, which is like to condense here the whole “being” of Turkey, just at that point where the West meets the East. And there is from both. West and East.
Smyrna (Turkish: İzmir), is the third largest city in Turkey after Istanbul and Ankara and the largest import and export trading port of Turkey, with a population of 3,5 million. It is located in the eastern cove the eponymous Gulf of Izmir, 90km. east of Krini (Cesme) against Chios island in the central Turkish coast of the Aegean Sea
Itinerary : Asansor (Historical Elevator), Konak Square, Kemeraltı Bazaar, Roman Agora
Highlights of the Pergamon private shore excursion
- Private tour approx 4 hours
- Discover modern and ancient Izmir
- Visit the Asansor (Historical Elevator) and Kemeraltı Bazaar
- Specially designed for cruise passengers, Transfer from / to the port
- English-speaking tour guide
Description of the tour
You will be met with your guide at the port in order to visit the city that is full of images and emotions. Izmir one of the oldest cities and ports of the Mediterranean, the ancient Ionia. Throughout the ages it has changed two positions. The first at the prehistoric times mentioned by Stravon (Greek geographer, philosopher and history) as “Old Smyrna” and the second built by Alexander the Great and his descendants during the Hellenistic period.
With a history that goes back over 8000 years -are important archaeological sites both within the city (such as the Market) and little farther (Ephesus and Pergamon are one hours way from here) – and peculiar past (which relates to a large extent bygone Greek presence), Izmir seems deletes an own, somewhat independent course in Turkey. After all, not a few, are the young and educated mainly residents who boast that they live in the most radical environment of the country.
Visit the Asansör (the oldest elevator in İzmir), which has amazing view of İzmir Konak Square. It is one of the highlights of Izmir and one of the best places for sunset. Ride the historic building, which is literally an elevator that was built in 1907 by a Jewish banker in order to facilitate the rise of people and goods at steep steep hill that rises right behind. Today, renovated and tidy, the houses … the first floor, situated at a height of 50 m., Two cafes with beautiful terraces chazi the city and the sea.
Walk in the Historical Kemeraltı Bazaar, that starts just behind the clock of Izmir. This is a market that resembles something between the Sunday bazaars of south Europe and flee markets, but spreads over countless labyrinthine alleys. Here, you can find everything from beads traditional shops, shops “hidden” in leather jackets and other delicious local decorative items to … for the home and buildings. The biggest attraction of the whole market are cafes where roast coffee by placing the same cup on the fire! Sukru Bey, the most famous coffee!
Our last stop will be at the Roman agora and you’ll enjoy great views while taking in the history of the beautiful İzmir (Smyrna).
- Shore Excursion
- Private tour
- Activity level: Moderate
Included in the tour
- Entrance fees
- Professional English speaking guide licensed by the Ministry of Culture and Tourism
- Non-Smoking, air conditioned vehicle and professional driver
- Pick-up from and return to the hotel
- Pick-up from/to the Port
- Road tolls and local taxes
Excluded from the tour
- Any Drinks
- Tip to Guide and Driver
- Dress: religious and marmoreal sites: shoulders and knee must be covered
- Terms & Conditions & F.A.Q
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- A voucher will be emailed to you with our contact numbers and all necessary information for your tour.
- This is your ticket and proof of purchase. On the day of tour please present a paper voucher in order to redeem your tour/activity.
Persons with Disabilities
- Due to uneven surfaces, certain sites are not recommended for persons with walking disabilities or using a wheelchair. Such sites are the Acropolis, the Temple of Poseidon at Sounion, Mycenae, Delphi and Meteora
- In all cases, we recommend comfortable flat-solid walking shoes, sunglasses and sunscreen.
SPECIAL OFFER: This tour includes lunch, only if you start from the port
PRICE PER PERSON:
Price From Izmir
- 2-3 Pax 100,00 $
- 4-5 Pax 85,00 $
- 6-10 Pax 70,00 $
- 11+ Pax 60,00 $