One of the smallest islands of the Dodecanese is Patmos deserted for centuries because of constant raids by pirates and the Turks, but what it lacks in size it makes up for in beauty and history. The island was first settled in 1088 when the Emperor of Constantinople made it a gift to the monk Christodoulos Latrnos so that he could establish a monastery in honor of St. John the Divine on the site. Patmos has been a place of scholarship and religious enlightenment ever since, it is the most sacred of all the Greek islands to Christians, and today this modern pilgrimage site is a quiet respite from the tourist havens many other Greek isles have become.
Highlights of the private shore excursion
- 6 -hours tour of the most sacred island in Greece
- Combines Patmos’ modern and Christian sites guided by our experts
- Explore the wonders of Chora and Scala
- Professional English-speaking tour guide
- Pickup and drop off at your cruise ship pier in Scala
Description of the cruise shore excursion in Patmos
Itinerary: Depart from the port town of Scala, a scenic drive around the island, the charming village of Kambos, view the beautiful beach of Lambi, the grotto of St. John, the small cave converted into a beautiful chapel, is where the Saint lived, the village of Chora, with its simple houses and Byzantine churches, the Monastery of St. John the Theologian,the old treasury in the museum which displays a breathtaking collection of jeweled chalices, crowns, crucifixes, vestments and old manuscripts dating as far back as 1073.
Explore Chora through the old winding streets, and enjoy the beautiful old architecture of Patmos. Free time for lunch and to explore the village on your own.
Continuing your tour we will stop at the three hundred year old house of the Simandiris family. It is an exceptional example of island architecture houses one of the finest collections of antiques dating from the Russian Empire up to the Turkish occupation. Among its many treasures are beautifully gilded mirrors, silverware, paintings, rustic chandeliers and exquisite brocade furnishings. This visit offers you an exceptional look into the past. Return to your cruise ship pier for embarkation.
Important Note: No shorts or bare shoulders are permitted in the Monastery. Ladies must wear skirts and are offered a wrap to wear around the waist if a skirt is not worn. Please come prepared or you may be turned away.
Patmos full day tour breakdown:
- Patmos Scenic Driving Tour- 1 Hour and 40 Minutes
- Visit Cave of St. John- 30 Minutes
- Drive to Chora and walk up to the Monastery- 20 Minutes
- Visit Monastery- 1 Hour and 10 Minutes
- Short Chora Walking Tour- 20 Minutes
- Chora Free time (lunch on your own)- 1 Hour and 45 Minutes
- Walk to and Visit House of Simandiris- 30 Minutes
- Return to Patmos’ Pier- 20 Minutes
- Shore Excursion - Private tour
- Activity level: Moderate
Included in the tour
- Car and Driver
- A professional English speaking driver or escort with good knowledge in history and culture of Greece, to guide you till you enter archaeological sites and museums. Tour drivers are not licensed to companion you inside the archaeological sites and museums. If you'd like to have a licensed by the state tour guide to escort you inside the sites and museums, we can arrange it for you with an additional cost. Licensed by the state tour guides are freelance and it is subject of availability on bookings day!
- Transport by air-conditioned Mercedes-Benz vehicle or similar appropriate for the size of your group
- Accommodation is based according to availability (for multiple day tours only)
- Pick-up from and return to your hotel
- Pick-up from the Port of Piraeus
- Private tour, Road tolls and local taxes
- Our terminal: Leof. Andrea Siggrou 37, 117 43 Athina, Greece.
Excluded from the tour
- Entrance fees to the archaeological sites and museum
- Wine tasting fee (wine tours)
- Gratuities (optional)
- Food and beverage
- Your private chauffeur/guide will discuss a program best suited to your interest and mobile abilities. Option for a professional tour guide with a state license at an extra cost. Read more for the difference between a STATE LICENSED TOUR GUIDE and a TOUR DRIVER GUIDE in Greece!
- Dress: religious and marmoreal sites: shoulders and knee must be covered
- Terms & Conditions and Frequent Questions
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- A voucher will be emailed to you with our contact numbers and all necessary information for your tour.
- This is your ticket and proof of purchase. On the day of tour please present a paper voucher in order to redeem your tour/activity.
Persons with Disabilities
- Due to uneven surfaces, certain sites are not recommended for persons with walking disabilities or using a wheelchair. Such sites are the Acropolis, the Temple of Poseidon at Sounion, Mycenae, Delphi and Meteora
- In all cases, we recommend comfortable flat-solid walking shoes, sunglasses and sunscreen.
- Please note that on this tour, your tour driver is not licensed to accompany you on your climb. If you want this service you may book a licensed by the state tour guide for an extra cost.
- In case a group is followed by a licensed tour guide or an English speaking tour-escort the professional driver is not obliged to speak English!
Opening hours & Admission fees
- Opening Hours:Summer April 1st to October 31st from 08:00 AM to 07:30 PM
- Winter: November 1st to March 31st from 08:30 AM to 03:00 PM
- Free admission fees: Children under 18 & Students from E.U.
- Reduced admission fees: Citizens of the E.U. aged over 65 & Students from countries outside the E.U.
Free admission days
- March 6: In memory of deceased Minister of Tourism & visionary Melina Mercouri
- June 5: Environment international day
- April 18 : International monuments day
- May 18: International museums day
- September 27: International tourism day
- The last weekend of September annually (European Heritage Days)
- National Holidays
- Sundays in the period between 1 November and 31 March
- The first Sunday of every month, except for July, August and September
- NOTE: If the first Sunday is a holiday then the second is the free admission day
Holidays in Greece
- January 1: closed
- January 6: 08:30 AM - 03:00 PM
- Shrove Monday: 08:30AM - 03:00 PM
- March 25: closed
- Good Friday: 12:00 PM - 03:00 PM
- Holy Saturday: 08:30 AM - 03:00 PM
- Easter Sunday: closed
- Easter Monday: 08:30 AM - 03:00 PM
- May 1: closed
- Holy Spirit Day: 08:30 AM - 03:00 PM
- 15 August 15: 08:30 AM - 03:00 PM
- October 28: 08:30 AM- 03:00 PM
- December 25 & 26: closed