The Katakolon Shore Excursion with Epikourios Apollon temple is an exceptional tour to the best preserved ancient temple of Greece, together with the Hephaestus temple in Athens witch was dedicated to Apollo Epikourios ( Apollo the helper).
Highlights of Katakolon Shore Excursion with Epikourios Apollon temple
- A 7 hours approx private tour
- Visit the the best preserved ancient temple of Greece
- Enjoy a coffee at a traditional village coffee shop and taste local delicacies
- Visit an Olympia Land Winery, taste unique wines
Description of the Katakolon Shore Excursion
We will start our private tour meeting you outside the pier’s gate,just a few meters away from the embarkation area of your cruise ship.
Our driver will be at the meeting point holding a sign written your name on and placed on the car’s windscreen. Drive directly to Epikourios Apollon temple one of the UNESCO’s World Heritage. The temple of Epikourios Apollo is the most extensively studied monuments due to its variety of characteristics both in the exterior and the interior. The temple is located in a rural isolated site, 15 km south of Andritsena and at 1.130 meters above sea level on mount Kotylion. In ancient times the location was named Vasses which means small, flattened areas on rocky land.
After the visit at the Epikourios Apollon temple we’ll have a short stop at the Andritsaina village for a coffee and to taste local delicacies. (optional).
Our next visit is at the family owned winery OLYMPIA LAND – LIAROMMATIS ESTATE . You’ll find the winery into the valley of the river Kladeos and just 2 kilometers from the heart of Anc. Olympia. Taste some of the winery produce high quality wines from local varieties, like the white Roditis, Assirtiko and the red Agiorgitiko.
After the welcoming of the owners the tour begin by walking close to the vineyards, continue to the production area and the cellar with the oak barrels. At the end of the winery tour you will taste two bottles wines, olive oil, olives and other delicacies.
Also there is a free time for shopping in between the visits.
We will end our private shore excursion at the same place we have started.
- Shore Excursion - Private tour
- Activity level: Moderate
Included in the tour
- Car and Driver
- A professional English speaking driver or escort with good knowledge in history and culture of Greece, to guide you till you enter archaeological sites and museums. Tour drivers are not licensed to companion you inside the archaeological sites and museums. If you'd like to have a licensed by the state tour guide to escort you inside the sites and museums, we can arrange it for you with an additional cost. Licensed by the state tour guides are freelance and it is subject of availability on bookings day!
- Transport by air-conditioned Mercedes-Benz vehicle or similar appropriate for the size of your group
- Accommodation is based according to availability (for multiple day tours only)
- Pick-up from and return to your hotel
- Pick-up from the Port of Piraeus
- Private tour, Road tolls and local taxes
- Our terminal: Leof. Andrea Siggrou 37, 117 43 Athina, Greece.
Excluded from the tour
- Entrance fees to the archaeological sites and museum
- Wine tasting fee (wine tours)
- Gratuities (optional)
- Food and beverage
- Your private chauffeur/guide will discuss a program best suited to your interest and mobile abilities. Option for a professional tour guide with a state license at an extra cost. Read more for the difference between a STATE LICENSED TOUR GUIDE and a TOUR DRIVER GUIDE in Greece!
- Dress: religious and marmoreal sites: shoulders and knee must be covered
- Terms & Conditions and Frequent Questions
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- A voucher will be emailed to you with our contact numbers and all necessary information for your tour.
- This is your ticket and proof of purchase. On the day of tour please present a paper voucher in order to redeem your tour/activity.
Persons with Disabilities
- Due to uneven surfaces, certain sites are not recommended for persons with walking disabilities or using a wheelchair. Such sites are the Acropolis, the Temple of Poseidon at Sounion, Mycenae, Delphi and Meteora
- In all cases, we recommend comfortable flat-solid walking shoes, sunglasses and sunscreen.
- Please note that on this tour, your tour driver is not licensed to accompany you on your climb. If you want this service you may book a licensed by the state tour guide for an extra cost.
- In case a group is followed by a licensed tour guide or an English speaking tour-escort the professional driver is not obliged to speak English!
Opening hours & Admission fees
- Opening Hours:Summer April 1st to October 31st from 08:00 AM to 07:30 PM
- Winter: November 1st to March 31st from 08:30 AM to 03:00 PM
- Free admission fees: Children under 18 & Students from E.U.
- Reduced admission fees: Citizens of the E.U. aged over 65 & Students from countries outside the E.U.
Free admission days
- March 6: In memory of deceased Minister of Tourism & visionary Melina Mercouri
- June 5: Environment international day
- April 18 : International monuments day
- May 18: International museums day
- September 27: International tourism day
- The last weekend of September annually (European Heritage Days)
- National Holidays
- Sundays in the period between 1 November and 31 March
- The first Sunday of every month, except for July, August and September
- NOTE: If the first Sunday is a holiday then the second is the free admission day
Holidays in Greece
- January 1: closed
- January 6: 08:30 AM - 03:00 PM
- Shrove Monday: 08:30AM - 03:00 PM
- March 25: closed
- Good Friday: 12:00 PM - 03:00 PM
- Holy Saturday: 08:30 AM - 03:00 PM
- Easter Sunday: closed
- Easter Monday: 08:30 AM - 03:00 PM
- May 1: closed
- Holy Spirit Day: 08:30 AM - 03:00 PM
- 15 August 15: 08:30 AM - 03:00 PM
- October 28: 08:30 AM- 03:00 PM
- December 25 & 26: closed
- (Entrance fees 5 euros per person not included)