The half day tour to museums of Athens is one of the most intriguing and interesting tours you can have in Athens and Greece.
Athens is considered the historical capital of Europe, therefore a visit to its numerous museums is more than essential when you are visiting Greece.
What you will see during the half day tour to the Museums of Athens
Archaeological Museum of Athens – The new Acropolis museum – Museum of Cycladic Art – Benaki Museum – Byzantine Museum – Lalaounis Museum of Jewelry
Highlights of the half day tour in Athens museums
- Some of the most important museums in the world
- The museums housing artifacts from the birth of the western culture in Greece
- 4 -hour tour with an English-speaking driver, including pickup and drop off from any hotel in Athens or the cruise terminal at the port of Piraeus
- Fully-customized tour that allows you to visit some or all of the suggested museums
Description of the half day tour in Athens museums
Athens Tours Greece will take you to an enjoyable half day tour to the museums of Athens, ranging from archaeological museums to modern art centers and thematic museums.
The private tour to Athens museum starts with a visit to the Museum of Acropolis, which is a new museum that opened its gates in 2010.
The New Acropolis Museum is located at the feet of the Holy Rock of the Acropolis, with a magnificent view to the Parthenon. It houses the parts of the Marbles of the Parthenon that are still Greek, the Maidens from the temple of Erechtheion and some truly gorgeous statues and artifacts.
The private half day tour will continue to the National Archaeological Museum of Athens, which features a large collection of ancient artifacts from all over Greece.
It is considered one of the most important and significant museums in the world, due to its impressive collections from all over Greece, Middle East and the Balkans. It is housed in an impressive neoclassic building in the heart of the city and has a very interesting museum shop as well, where you can buy authentic copies of the actual exhibits.
Later on, you will have the chance to visit the Museum of Cycladic Art in downtown Athens, where you can see an amazing collection of Cycladic statues, sculptures and artifacts, featuring the most important civilizations of ancient Greece, such as Santorini, Paros, Mykonos, Sifnos and more.
The Benaki Museum, also part of the half day tour, is one of the most distinguished museums in the World, since it has an impressive collection of artifacts from the Byzantine Era. You will have the chance to get to know a culture that influenced the entire Mediterranean and South Europe.
Last but not least, the half day private tour will take you to Lalaounis Museum of Jewelry, where you can see a truly breathtaking collection of jewels dating back to the 9th century BC, as well as a collection of modern jewels as well.
- Shore Excursion - Private tour
- Activity level: Moderate
Included in the tour
- Car and Driver
- A professional English speaking driver or escort with good knowledge in history and culture of Greece, to guide you till you enter archaeological sites and museums. Tour drivers are not licensed to companion you inside the archaeological sites and museums. If you'd like to have a licensed by the state tour guide to escort you inside the sites and museums, we can arrange it for you with an additional cost. Licensed by the state tour guides are freelance and it is subject of availability on bookings day!
- Transport by air-conditioned Mercedes-Benz vehicle or similar appropriate for the size of your group
- Accommodation is based according to availability (for multiple day tours only)
- Pick-up from and return to your hotel
- Pick-up from the Port of Piraeus
- Private tour, Road tolls and local taxes
- Our terminal: Leof. Andrea Siggrou 37, 117 43 Athina, Greece.
Excluded from the tour
- Entrance fees to the archaeological sites and museum
- Wine tasting fee (wine tours)
- Gratuities (optional)
- Food and beverage
- Your private chauffeur/guide will discuss a program best suited to your interest and mobile abilities. Option for a professional tour guide with a state license at an extra cost. Read more for the difference between a STATE LICENSED TOUR GUIDE and a TOUR DRIVER GUIDE in Greece!
- Dress: religious and marmoreal sites: shoulders and knee must be covered
- Terms & Conditions and Frequent Questions
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- A voucher will be emailed to you with our contact numbers and all necessary information for your tour.
- This is your ticket and proof of purchase. On the day of tour please present a paper voucher in order to redeem your tour/activity.
Persons with Disabilities
- Due to uneven surfaces, certain sites are not recommended for persons with walking disabilities or using a wheelchair. Such sites are the Acropolis, the Temple of Poseidon at Sounion, Mycenae, Delphi and Meteora
- In all cases, we recommend comfortable flat-solid walking shoes, sunglasses and sunscreen.
- Please note that on this tour, your tour driver is not licensed to accompany you on your climb. If you want this service you may book a licensed by the state tour guide for an extra cost.
- In case a group is followed by a licensed tour guide or an English speaking tour-escort the professional driver is not obliged to speak English!
Opening hours & Admission fees
- Opening Hours:Summer April 1st to October 31st from 08:00 AM to 07:30 PM
- Winter: November 1st to March 31st from 08:30 AM to 03:00 PM
- Free admission fees: Children under 18 & Students from E.U.
- Reduced admission fees: Citizens of the E.U. aged over 65 & Students from countries outside the E.U.
Free admission days
- March 6: In memory of deceased Minister of Tourism & visionary Melina Mercouri
- June 5: Environment international day
- April 18 : International monuments day
- May 18: International museums day
- September 27: International tourism day
- The last weekend of September annually (European Heritage Days)
- National Holidays
- Sundays in the period between 1 November and 31 March
- The first Sunday of every month, except for July, August and September
- NOTE: If the first Sunday is a holiday then the second is the free admission day
Holidays in Greece
- January 1: closed
- January 6: 08:30 AM - 03:00 PM
- Shrove Monday: 08:30AM - 03:00 PM
- March 25: closed
- Good Friday: 12:00 PM - 03:00 PM
- Holy Saturday: 08:30 AM - 03:00 PM
- Easter Sunday: closed
- Easter Monday: 08:30 AM - 03:00 PM
- May 1: closed
- Holy Spirit Day: 08:30 AM - 03:00 PM
- 15 August 15: 08:30 AM - 03:00 PM
- October 28: 08:30 AM- 03:00 PM
- December 25 & 26: closed