Visit Alexandria city the pearl of the Mediterranean sea. During this amazing tour, you will have the chance to visit the Catacombs of Kom El Shuquafa, Bibliotheca Alexandrina, the Montaza Palace & gardens, A photo stops at the Citadel of Quait Bay, Abu El Abbass Mosque, and the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier!
Duration : Day trip 8 hours
Tour type: Shore excursion | Sightseen tour
Tour location: Alexandria
Tour availability: Daily, all year-round
Pick up – Drop off: Alexandria Port | Your hotel
Highlights of Alexandria 8-h tour to Catacombs of Kom El Shuquafa, Bibliotheca Alexandrina, and more
- Round-trip transfers from Alexandria Port are included
- An English-speaking guide will lead the way
- Private tour for just you and your party
- Transfer by air-conditioned comfortable vehicles
- Visit the famous Bibliotheca Alexandrina
- Be impressed by the uniqueness of the Catacombs of Kom El Shuquafa
Description of the tour | Tour itinerary
1. Alexandria Port | The Catacombs of Kom El Shuquafa
Depart the Port of Alexandria for the drive to the Catacombs of Kom El Shuquafa, one of the Seven Wonders of the Middle Ages. Discovered by a donkey in 1900, the catacombs represent the largest Roman cemetery in Egypt, and include the remains of more than 300 individual tombs. Constructed in the 2nd century A.D., probably for one family, they were later expanded to three levels cut 90 feet deep into existing rock. They now merge Roman, Greek and Egyptian cultural aspects in their design and decoration. The catacombs are accessed by a series of descending circular steps,
2. The Citadel of Quait Bay
Drive to the Citadel of Quait Bay for a photo stop. One of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World, the lighthouse of Ancient Alexandria once stood on this site. Finished in the 3rd century B.C., the lighthouse was an astonishing 380 to 440 ft in height with approximately three hundred rooms in the lower section for workers. Running through the center was a double spiral ascent and hydraulic machinery that raised fuel for the lamp to the top. The lantern at the top of the lighthouse remains a source of discussion. Some say it contained a steel mirror that reflected light in the day and fire by night. Others say it was made of glass. The lantern and the top two stories fell around 956 A.D, during an earthquake and most of the tower was destroyed during earthquakes in 1303 and 1323. The present day fort was built in the 1480’s by Sultan Qaitbey using pieces of the lighthouse. These blocks are clearly visible due to their excessive size in comparison to surrounding masonry.
3. The Abu El Abbass Mosque
A photo stop will be made at the beautiful Abu El Abbass Mosque, considered to be the biggest mosque in Alexandria and a genuine example of Islamic architecture. The current building dates from 1775, although sections within date back as far as 1286 A. D.
4. The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier
A photo stop will also be made at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier which dates back to 1915.
5. Bibliotheca Alexandrina
Next, you will visit the new Bibliotheca Alexandrina, built on or near the site of the ancient Library of Alexandria. Built at the beginning of the 3rd century BC, the ancient library was not only a repository of books; it was also a museum, school and the world’s foremost center for learning and scholarly research. In the 4th century AD, a fire destroyed both the library and museum.
Your tour will include a visit to the new library, and a walking tour of the grounds, which feature a museum, galleries and planetarium. Your guide will explain the architecture, background, development and UNESCO’s part in the creation.
5. The Montaza Gardens
Next, you will take a drive along the Mediterranean coast to the Montaza Gardens, 115 acres of gardens that surround the Montaza Palace, built in 1932 by King Fouad and inherited by his son King Farouk, last of the Egyptian kings. At the end of the tour you will be returned to the pier.
More Shore Excursion In Turkey Here!
Check Here For Shore Excursions In Greece!
- Pick up from Alexandria Port.
- Air-conditioned Private Vehicle
- 1 Day tour in Alexandria as mentioned in the program
- Entrance fees to the above mentioned sites
- English speaking guide
- One bottle of Mineral water to each person
- All service charges & tax
- Assist & transfer to Alexandria Port to catch your Cruise
- Any other optional tours if required
What do you have to take with
- Warm clothes in winter
- Light clothes in the summer
- Solid shoes
- Headgear | Hat
- The terrain may be uneven or steep cameras, bags & smoking are not permitted inside the Egyptian Museum, Egyptian museum is not air-conditioned, there is elevator inside the Egyptian Museum for wheelchair guests.
- The Alexandria Library is closed on Saturdays and Sundays, and will be replaced by a visit to the Citadel of Quait.